Sunday, February 12, 2012

To Laugh or Cry...

Remember that scene in The Wizard of Oz where the Wicked Witch of the West gets doused with water and exclaims "I'm melting!" I'm feeling a bit like the green dame only instead of melting, I'm expanding. Liquid is the fearsome substance for us both, only mine is saline and comes in a syringe inserted in my breast, through a metal port, into the expander. They are made of heavy silicone and as the expanders become fuller, these balloon-like place keepers are getting hard. Really hard. After inserting them during my mastectomy, my plastic surgeon filled them with 150 cc's of saline. After three fills I have 300 cc's and will likely get another 150 or so. And every time I get an injection my skin and muscles stretch and are pulled taut. Dr. Movassaghi is determined to have plenty of skin to work with for my final surgery so I'm afraid I may be sporting a Pamela Anderson physique before this part of the process is over. Oh my! This too shall pass but in the meantime my expanding chest may provide some comic relief.

And comic relief was just what I needed this week. Our dear Rosie gave us a scare as 14-year-old labs are wont to do. She had blood, and lots of it, in her urine after a night of acting out of sorts and uncomfortable. My first thoughts went to cancer. Of course it did. The vet was worried about her too, but after some blood work and a few x-rays the best guess was an infection. Four amoxicillin a day, coated in peanut butter, and she's feeling much better. We got a sense of what's to come and we're just appreciating her quirky, amusing personality. She grabbed our hearts the first moment we met her. We love you Sweet Rosie Girl...

No comments: