Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Of Words and Friends and Gratitude...

Two Weeks Today! I'm feeling like a new woman as my energy is increasing every day and I'm getting accustomed to my new and changing body. I had another marathon day with the medical establishment yesterday with nothing but good news! First on the docket was my plastic surgeon Dr. Movassaghi. After getting my drains out I got my first fill. Sitting in an exam room where well placed pamphlets with beautiful unlined faces gazed approvingly, I laid back and got 30 cc's of saline injected into the expanders inside my breasts. Another one of those wild, out-of-body experiences that are part of this strange and mysterious adventure. After the surgery I cannot feel my breasts or under my arms...numbness that will likely continue for the remainder of my life. But the numbness is limited to my skin so while I watched the needle pierce my skin I couldn't feel it. And as the needle made it's way to my muscle tissue, I winced before my mind began to wander to those people smiling from the corner shelves. Did they enjoy getting their botox, their laser treatments and their eyelid tucks? Maybe when this is all done I'll have something done...just for fun. While I was anxious (I assured the Dr. that no, I wasn't needle phobic, I just don't like pain!) I was happy to be moving forward with this process and thrilled to learn that I was healing nicely.

Once my fill was complete and my drain incisions were bandaged, we gathered up our rain gear and made our way to the Willamette Valley Cancer Institute. After a quick stop in the infusion room for labs we met with my oncologist Dr. Kovach where good news turned great. He interpreted my pathology report and was exceedingly pleased with the findings. In essence the lack of cancer cells in my lymph nodes and no remaining invasive cancer cells suggested that the chemotherapy was successful. My continued herception infusions along with radiation and the Tamoxifen I'll begin taking tonight will give me the best possible outcome. Happy Dance!!

With big smiles and a kick in my step my mom and I headed back to the infusion room for my dose of herception. Compared to chemo this is a walk in the park. We spent much of the time chatting about the good news, catching up with the nurses and laughing about our latest obsession...Words with Friends.

The word that I keep coming back to as I meander through my days is Gratitude. Everyday I learn a little something about the nature of gratitude and what it really means to be grateful. As I ponder the idea today I would have to say that I am most grateful for the intimacy that cancer has afforded me. Making time and relationships and words matter...that is what makes me sing today.

2 comments:

Jamie Leaf said...

Tracy, So happy to hear the news! Each day will get a little brighter. Looking forward to the time when this is all behind you, Jamie

Tracy said...

Thanks Jamie! Hurdle #2 is behind us :)and I'm feeling better everyday!