Monday, October 24, 2011

A Life in Stitches...












I turned 48 on Tuesday Oct. 18. I gave myself a brief wtf moment in the mirror (who is that bald woman staring back at me?) then put on a great pair of boots and went to lunch. Heidi, Liz, my mom and I started off the day with lunch as a prequel to a fabulous evening with my book group.

And just when I thought that cancer was the biggest curve ball I could get my friends surprised me with a stunning quilt they made. You can see the pictures of the process in Debby's post below...what an amazing project!

And what's more amazing is that as I look at the quilt it seems to resemble so much about my life and about my recent experiences. Unlike most traditional quilts that are ordered with perfect symmetry, this has a delicious randomness...I've rarely followed the straight line to happiness or achievement. Rather I"m a "road not taken" kind of gal and that always has served me well in the end. And the pops of color elicit the beauty of the many places I've had the good fortune to live in and visit in my life. The deep blue waters of Palau, the purple blue mountains of Bend, the deep green of the Willamette Valley, the yellow ocher of Provence. I could go on. But most of all, when I look at this marvelous quilt I will be reminded of my many friends, who really are extended family. You've stitched together the bits and pieces of my life with love and I thank you.

2 comments:

Jamie Leaf said...

Tracy, You are such a poetic writer. You really have a way with words. I am so glad we could all be together on your birthday! -Jamie

Tracy said...

Thank you Jamie. My favorite part of teaching was to get kids in touch with their own unique "voice" to express themselves beyond the confines of a required essay. I guess since I cannot teach I can try to get in touch with my own :)