Friday, March 9, 2012

Never a Dull Moment

After a bit of a lull this wild roller coaster ride I'm on is picking up some steam. Last Friday I had my radiation simulation where they did a Cat Scan to make sure my vital organs are in the right place. I passed with flying colors...nice to know my heart is where it's supposed to be :-) They also made a mold that I will lay in for each treatment. It was like a bean bag chair that, once filled with air, melts and molds to my body. Very cool. With that done I started radiation on Wednesday and that first appointment is such an exacting process. For all you math geeks this process is all calculus and physics. My fabulous techs (Jeff, Rick and Renee) painstakingly set up the machine that rotates around my body to deliver the exact dose of radiation at the exact angle or curve. There are four sections they're blasting: my lymph nodes above my clavicle; my chest wall and breast, curving over from the right side; my chest wall and breast from two different angles on the left. That first day they had to take x-rays before each dose to make sure their coordinates were correct, so it was about 45 minutes of laying in the same position with my arms above my head. Ouch! When they finished it was time for the tattoos. Double Ouch! And yes they are permanent. I have four...one on each side and two on my breast. They look like small black freckles and they allow the technicians to line up the machine perfectly each time I go in. My friend Kirin was kind enough to drive me, allowing me to take an Ativan before hand, making the process a little less uncomfortable. On day 2 Liz joined me and Renee let her come back and see the set-up, explaining the process, what they were doing and why. They let her stay in with me until they were ready to start up the radiation. Their willingness to thoroughly answer all my questions is both informative and comforting. I feel like I'm in very capable hands with some of the smartest people in town! So mom, next time you're in town you can come for show and tell!

In addition to my radiation treatments I'm still getting my Herceptin infusions every three weeks. I'm reading a book about how this drug, a monoclonal antibody, was developed and it's fascinating. My dad was asking some questions about Herceptin, how it's different from chemo and what it does....I got an e-mail today from the American Cancer Society and with an attachment about Dennis Slamon MD, the oncologist/researcher who was instrumental in getting Herceptin through the drug trial phases and onto the market. I've attached it for anyone who is interested. And the name of the book is Her-2: The Making of Herceptin, a Revolutionary Treatment for Breast Cancer by Robert Bazell MD. He's the Chief Science and Health Correspondent for NBC News so he is accustomed to deconstructing complex medical information for the general public. And no, I don't expect you all to start reading about drug trials, biotech companies and breast cancer...but if it floats your boat it's quite fascinating :-)

I get the weekend off and I am looking forward to some down time with Bruce, Rosie and a ball of yarn (I've got a few projects in the hopper). And Nathan and Stephanie will be coming to town this weekend so I'm looking forward to visiting with them. Hope you all enjoy a wonderful weekend...I know I will!

http://img.delivery.net/cm50content/19439/51420/msabcMar2012/finding_Cures.html?acx_mid=145394&acx_rid=1141023486

No comments: